Everything You Need to Know About Pet Travel International: A Comprehensive Guide

Are you planning to take your furry friend on an international trip? Learn about all documentation needed for international pet travel including health certificates, passports, vaccination certificates & import permits.

Everything You Need to Know About Pet Travel International: A Comprehensive Guide

Are you planning to take your furry friend on an international trip? If so, you need to be aware of the documentation and requirements for pet travel international. Most countries require pets to arrive with a health certificate, also known as an international health certificate, veterinary health certificate, veterinary certificate, or export certificate. It is important to check the country's requirements each time you plan to travel with your pet. Airlines usually require health certificates that are no more than 10 days old, even if the receiving country accepts an older one.

However, some countries require a health certificate that is even less than 10 days old. Government employees or their family members can contact the Overseas Briefing Center for information on airline restrictions. The international health certificate is one of the most important documents your pet needs when they travel. It certifies that your pet meets all the pet import requirements of the country you are traveling to.

A licensed veterinarian must certify the certificate, and most countries require health certificates within 10 to 15 days before travel. The pet passport is similar to the international health certificate and is issued by an authorized EU veterinarian in the European Union. It contains vital information about your pet, such as the vaccines received, medical information, details of the microchip, photo of your pet, contact details and details of the EU vet who issued the passport. A pet passport is essential when traveling between member countries of the European Union.

If your pet has a valid pet passport, you can travel between EU and EEA countries without needing to be quarantined. Many non-EU countries also accept passports for pets. Although your pet's vaccination records are mentioned in the health certificate and in the pet passport, some countries require a vaccination certificate with proof of rabies and other vaccines received by the pet. The most common vaccines for dogs include rabies, distemper, parvovirus, parainfluenza, and hepatitis.

The standard vaccines for cats are feline enteritis, rhinotracheitis and calicivirus. Some countries require additional vaccines for diseases such as leptospirosis, canine influenza virus and Bordetella. The vaccination certificate must include details of all vaccines received by the pet, along with the date of administration and expiration date. All vaccines must be current during the trip.

If your dog or cat is traveling in extreme cold conditions, some airlines require an acclimation certificate for the pet. Many airlines have temperature embargoes and don't transport pets in extreme temperature conditions. An acclimation certificate indicates that the dog or cat can withstand cold temperatures and must be allowed to board the aircraft. It is issued by a licensed veterinarian and is usually given to pet breeds that are naturally immune to freezing temperatures, such as the Siberian Husky or St.

Bernard. However, not all airlines require an acclimation certificate; check with your airline before planning your pet's trip. The import permit is an official document issued by the destination country. It is an essential part of the pet travel process and in most cases pets aren't allowed to enter the country without an import permit.

Import permits are generally available online on the country's government website and must be obtained one week to 15 days before the date of travel. If you're traveling with your pet to another country and you're not sure what documentation your dog or cat needs, we recommend that you contact an IATA accredited pet transport agency to help you with your pet's travel needs. Contact Petraveller to learn more about the documentation needed for international pet travel and to get a free quote for trips with pets. Pet owners are often hesitant to travel with their pets because of the extensive documentation involved in traveling with international pets.

Tia Szymansky
Tia Szymansky

Having Spent 8 Years Travelling, I have decided to Live in Africa for the past 2 years. Love every moment of it and sharing my best guides and tips if you plan on travelling here. Africa is always oversighted due to media and I believe with my blog, I can help revive the African Travel and Tourism Industry and invite you all here for a fantastic time :)

Leave Reply

Required fields are marked *